Tenure-track assistant professorship in Landscape Architecture and Urban design
Tenure-track Assistant Professor in Landscape Architecture and Urban Design
Section for Landscape Architecture and Planning
Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management, University of Copenhagen, invites applications for a position as tenure track assistant professor in landscape architecture and urban design.
The academic focus of this position is on collaborative design methods and practice led research approaches where design act as both fabricating and investigating actions. The research will explore the interplay between public space production and urban transformation processes within contemporary urban planning and design practice. A particular thematic attention will be on urban ‘experimental’ practices such as co-design approaches, temporary uses and short-term interventions in the context of redevelopment of urban spaces and landscapes. The candidate will teach design studio courses at both bachelor and master level and take on individual supervision for bachelor projects and master thesis in the landscape architecture program.
The tenure track assistant professor must have design education and an academic standing within landscape architecture/urban design showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
In addition, we prefer candidate with as many of the following competences as possible:
- A background in landscape architecture, architecture or urban design with strong foundation in both academics and design practice.
- Experience in practice led and design based research.
- Experience in teaching design studios.
- International network and academic outreach.
- Ability to bridge academia and practice through external collaborations and knowledge dissemination.
- Insight into contemporary urban transformation practices such as community design approaches and experimental short-term interventions.
The candidate is expected to perform teaching at Danish taught courses within a few years time frame and to conduct research in a context of Danish communities of citizen groups and local organisations.
As assistant professor, you are expected to have a clear and forward-looking visions and plans for the development of your research towards future impact. You must have good cooperation skills, abilities for self-management and experience from collaboration with stakeholders beyond academia is an advantage.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication. You will participate in research-based teaching of courses and examination at BSc and MSc level and develop your teaching skills as well as co-supervise PhD students. You will be expected to develop your own as well as collaborative research applications, and be committed to project management and interdisciplinary collaboration. You will build an international scientific network, develop collaboration with stakeholders and collaborate closely with colleagues at the department and contribute to collegial development of the department including participation in scientific and social events. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Your work place will be at the Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management (IGN). IGN conducts research and education on the past, present and future physical, chemical and biological environments of the Earth and their interactions with societal and human systems to provide graduates and research in support of sustainable future solutions for society.
The position is placed at the division of Landscape Architecture and Planning. You will become part of the research group for Landscape Architecture and Urbanism that approach the field of landscape architecture and urban design from a humanities and design centered perspective.
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Claus Beier, Head of Department (email@example.com) or Henrik Vejre, Head of Section (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The position is open from 1 January 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 430.569 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 73.627).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding [Formuleringen tilrettes efter forskningsområdets muligheder for at tiltrække ekstern finansiering]
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
– Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Description of previous research themes and activities
– Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
– Research plan – description of current and future research plans
– If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with studio teaching supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
– Complete publication list
– Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
– Up to five pages portfolio with samples of own and collaborative design work within landscape architecture and urban design.
The deadline for applications is 21 August 2019, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 4 December 2019.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0024/19-2N.