Contract: Open ended
Salary: Professorial Equivalent
The Department of Landscape Architecture at the University of
Sheffield is aiming to appoint a Chair, with qualifications in landscape
architecture or other relevant disciplines, specialising in:
Creating healthy places:
- Planting design and management for global challenges
- Addressing the climate crisis through landscape architecture
- Landscape approaches to enhancing biodiversity
- Green/Blue Infrastructure
We are looking for a creative individual with a strong interest in/commitment to the discipline and profession of landscape architecture, a track record of agenda-setting research in their field, an enthusiasm for teaching delivery and innovation and a collegiate outlook and approach to their work and future role in the Department. The successful applicant will play a key role in the our departmental contribution to the above overarching agendas and vision, and more specifically to the Department’s 5 year strategy, which seeks (inter alia) to:
- Evidence, articulate and demonstrate the potential for Landscape Architecture to address the global challenges of climate change, biodiversity loss and landscape justice, and support delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals across the global north and south.
- Provide high-quality Landscape Architectural programmes to enable graduates to tackle these challenges as global citizens, imaginative, critical thinkers and landscape planners, designers and managers capable of advocating and creating ethical, innovative, sustainable projects and evidence-based solutions.
- Create a supportive collegial environment and culture that foregrounds wellbeing, together with equality, diversity and inclusion, which is attractive to inquiring, enthusiastic and talented academic, professional services and technical staff and students, ensures delivery of strategic aims and provides opportunities for all.
The Department is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences and contributes to the Faculty research agendas of Health and Wellbeing, Sustainable Futures and Inclusive Society. This in turn sits within the wider university Vision, organised under its four pillars of research, innovation, education and one university.
The UK’s 2014 Research Excellence Framework* (REF) has confirmed the Department’s
position as a world-class centre for landscape architectural research. We are proud to have achieved 4th place overall by subject in the subject area of Architecture, Built Environment and Planning in our joint submission with the School of Architecture and Urban Studies and
Planning. The department was ranked first out of all UK Landscape Architecture units in all research evaluations since 1996 and rated No.1 for student satisfaction according to the National student survey (NSS) in July 2021.
We offer research and taught courses across the breadth of landscape architecture, including planning, design and management. Our website offers more information about all aspects of the department activity: www.sheffield.ac.uk/landscape
This post is open ended
We’re one of the best not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK. The University’s Total Reward Package includes a competitive salary, a generous Pension Scheme and annual leave entitlement, as well as access to a range of learning and development courses to support your personal and professional development.
We build teams of people from different heritages and lifestyles whose talent and contributions complement each other to greatest effect. We believe diversity in all its forms delivers greater impact through research, teaching and student experience.
Follow @sheffielduni and @ShefUniJobs on Twitter for more information about what makes the University of Sheffield a remarkable place to work.