Department of Landscape Architecture (EHRA)
The Department of Landscape Architecture invites applicants to join us to serve as Head of the Department. We are looking for candidates who align their life and work values, exercise their signature strengths, learn quickly, and seek to bring out the best in others. We value human-centered and community-engaged work, and we reflect the benefits of a diverse faculty and student population. We seek a colleague combining high-impact academic and professional experience. We require evidence of leadership and managerial excellence in the academy.
As a fully accredited graduate-only program, we teach, learn, research, and apply state of the art practices that create innovative and resilient landscapes focused on human and ecosystem health, safety, wellbeing, social equity, and quality of life. As supporters of the New Landscape Declaration, we emphasize evidence-based inquiry and design thinking that positions students and graduates to engage with and propel the landscape architecture profession into the future.
We are uniquely situated at NC State University in The College of Design and have a mandate to communicate the impact of design thinking throughout the campus, locally, regionally, and globally. Additionally, The College of Design is home to two doctoral programs, a PhD in Design and a Doctor of Design, providing conduits for advanced study across disciplinary boundaries.
This position is a twelve-month tenure or tenure-track position, rank and salary commensurate with experience. We invite applicants that reflect the diversity of our profession and the communities we serve.
This position will remain open until filled.
General Scope of Duties
Department Head responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Productively communicate with colleagues to promote a collaborative environment.
• Lead faculty and students in a shared vision, collaborate with other disciplines in the college, serve as the department representative to the College Administrative Council and Department Heads, act as conduit for flow of information between the department, college, and university.
• Serve as the senior faculty advisor to academic unit students, directing them in their studies and assisting them in forming appropriate committees.
• Fulfill a part-time teaching responsibility of approximately six (6) credit hours per year.
• Oversee faculty assignments related to departmental courses and service, and evaluate faculty performance.
• Oversee curricular matters related to the program, including course scheduling and long-range planning.
• Lead academic unit in procedures specific to accreditation.
• Manage the department budget.
• Advise the Dean on faculty appointment matters, serve as department representative, in collaboration with the Dean, to department-speciﬁc alumni and professional groups.
• Work in collaboration with the Dean on department and college-related fund development activities.
• Master of landscape architecture degree, or terminal degree in closely allied field
• Proven leadership skills
• Professional experience with demonstrated design influence
• A significant record of research, publication, and/or professional practice
In addition, other relevant qualifications include:
• Academic administrative experience
• Professional licensure as appropriate
• PhD, Doctoral degree, or equivalent
To apply, please go to jobs.ncsu.edu and search for position number 00060484. Applicants should include a cover letter, C.V., and statements of research and teaching interests. In addition, applicants should include names and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin on 12/20/2018. For questions about this position, please contact Tsai Lu Liu at email@example.com or by phone at 919-515-8350.
NC State is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. In addition, NC State University welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. We welcome the opportunity to work with candidates to identify suitable employment opportunities for spouses or partners.