Professor in Landscape Architecture especially Landscape Management
Fakultet för landskapsarkitektur, trädgårds- och växtproduktionsvetenskap
The Department of Urban and Rural Development
The Department of Urban and Rural Development at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Uppsala (Division of Landscape Architecture, subject area Landscape Management), invites applications for the position of Professor in Landscape Architecture. The department pursue education, research and external collaboration in Agrarian history, Environmental communication, Landscape architecture and Rural development. Read more at: https://www.slu.se/en/departments/urban-rural-development/
The subject area for the position is Landscape Architecture with a focus on design perspectives in landscape management practice, which includes studies of the importance of outdoor management for how the urban landscape develops in relation to the people, of different ages and social contexts, who is using it. The subject area includes studies of how landscape management contributes to increased biodiversity, climate adaptation and other ecosystem services, but also to ensure health-promotion and other appropriate conditions for recreation, urban outdoor life, play and learning.
The successful candidate must:
• develop and lead the subject area
• develop a strong research environment, characterised e.g. by international publications and competitive research applications for external funding
• contribute to an improved education at the bachelor, master and PhD level
• develop research collaborations within the division, across the Department and SLU, with peers at other universities in Sweden and abroad
• contribute to the strategic development of the Faculty in academic leadership roles at the division, department and faculty level
Since the professor is expected to lead the development of the subject at the Department, and participate in collegial contexts within the faculty and the University, the candidate should be able to work in English and to work in Swedish/a Scandinavian language not later than within four years from taking up the position.
The successful candidate must have:
• obtained the degree of PhD in Landscape Architecture or other environmental design disciplines related to the position
• attained the rank of a Swedish “docent” (roughly: associate professor or reader), or equivalent
• successfully established an international position as researcher, with well established networks and several publications in relevant and key journals/books
• experience of landscape architecture teaching
• served in academic leadership roles
Assessment criteria for appointment of a professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider:
• past and current research in landscape architecture or related environmental design disciplines, e.g. peer-reviewed publications in relevant and established journals
• capacity to initiate and pursue an outstanding research agenda
• capacity to continuously acquire external research funding and/or grants in partnership with stakeholders
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider:
• experience of planning, conducting and evaluating teaching in landscape architecture or related disciplines
• experience of supervising PhD students and as examiner
• capacity to integrate research and academic thinking in teaching
In addition to the above critera, the following skills will also be taken into account:
• capacity to manage and lead academic units
• skills in collaboration with society, particularly with professional landscape architects within the subject area
• capacity to disseminate the results of research to a wider public
Particular emphasis will be placed on the applicant’s scientific skills and the ability to implement the above-mentioned duties. Assessment of pedagogic and scientific skills shall be given equal consideration.
Final date for application:
May 13th, 2020
Place of work:
Form of employment:
According to agreement
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when
you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
Head of Department
- 46 (0)18-671914